Eight years ago when I moved into my home, inspired by the movie Finding Nemo, I took on the grand task of turning my then two-year-old son’s bathroom into an under-the-sea sanctuary. I was pretty proud of myself. And he was overjoyed. Fast forward to today and my skills are mere child’s play compared to what the designers at the Omni San Antonio at Colonnade have done.
I’m already a huge fan of Omni properties. Their hotels are usually housed in historic grand buildings. Throw in beautiful design elements that the kids will notice and love, and I think you have a home-run!
Last week the Omni San Antonio at the Colonnade announced the completion of their new Aquatica Kids’s Suite and it looks beautiful!
Under The Sea
In a partnership with SeaWorld and the Art Institute of San Antonio, they’re raising the bar for kid-centric hotel suites. The suites are inspired by Aquatica, SeaWorld’s Waterpark and were designed by an Art Institute interior design graduate. The room was designed with the simple concept of “What would it be like to be under the sea?” Kids can literally slide into the suite! The floor has a painted sandy bottom so that guests get the feeling that they’re actually walking on the beach.
Kids Get The Comfort Of Home
Here are some more design details found in the Aquatica Suite:
- Floor-to-ceiling, three-dimensional fiberglass/rubber coral-blue entertainment wall.
- Recessed desk area and entertainment system with two flat-screen monitors – one for watching TV or DVDs (the shelves are lined with family-friendly films) and the other for video games on a Wii U GamePad and PlayStation 4.
- Compass window mural that directs guests north, south, east or west.
- Seating that includes a “bubble chair,” and a pair of “stingray” bean bag chairs in honor of Aquatica’s extraordinary stingray encounter.
- Cubby hole full of books and stuffed animals to encourage storytelling and stimulate the imagination.
- Built-in live bubble aquarium that features salt water, live fish, coral reefs, seaweed and plenty of bubbles.
- Large wall map, perfect for helping families plan their trip to the waterpark.
- Pair of specially-designed Murphy beds that unfolds from the wall, giving the kids a chance to get a good night’s rest in their ocean paradise.
- As for the parents, there is an adjoining bedroom, separate bathroom and a door with a porthole, perfect for checking in on their children at play.
Rates for the suites range from $359 to $499, and includes daily breakfast for the whole family. You can book your stay at OmniHotels.com. It’s not an inexpensive stay but it’s luxury and your kids will have many of the creature comforts of home. Staying underwater isn’t cheap.
*Images provided by Omni Hotels & Resorts.