Spring and Summer are the best times of year to enjoy festivals and outdoor events in the MD/DC/VA area. The New Yorker in me generally keeps me away from crowds, however, there’s something about the combination of sun, music, mobile foods and a good ole fashioned street party that overrides my slight enochlophobia.
Street festivals are like living, breathing classrooms for your kids. You have the opportunity to walk through warm city streets and charming neighborhoods, enjoying cultural diversity through food, music, and people. What better time to teach your kids about the unique cultures present in their immediate environment?
The following is a list of fun and educational events in the District for the remainder of May:
- Europe Week: May 9th-May 16th, 2010
- The GI Film Festival: May 12th- May 16th, 2010
- Mt. Vernon Wine Festival & Sunset Tour: May 14th – May 16th, 2010
- Walking Town and Biking Town DC: May 22nd- May 23rd, 2010
- National Asian Heritage Festival: May 22nd, 2010
You can also find the following festivals taking place throughout the month in Maryland and Virginia:
- Gaithersburg Book Festival: May 25th, 2010
- Blue Angels Air Show at Andrews AFB: May 15th, 2010
- Taste of Wheaton: May 16th, 2010
- Blue Angels Airshow in Annapolis: May 26th-May 28th, 2010
- Rockville’s Hometown Holidays: May 29th – May 31st, 2010
- N. Virginia Fine Arts Festival: Reston Town Center: May 15th – May 16th, 2010
- Taste of Arlington: May 16th, 2010
If you stick around throughout the remainder of the summer and hit up the various ethnic festivals between Baltimore and D.C., your child will have traveled the world in the span of 12 weekends. For free.